Thursday 2 June 2016

Quality Local Journalism


This is a rant from my Facebook page, but I feel like sharing it further. It all started when I saw this story being shared by the local rag, along with the caption: "There are more users in Bristol than Paris, Berlin and Barcelona. Worrying..."

Have a gander at the story and then read on...


I'm not sure where to start.

How about the lack of actual links to the actual report in the article?

How about qualifying claims that "Bristol is now Ecstasy capital of UK"?

How about not contradicting the headline in the article which says that "according to the findings of the report Bristol comes sixth in a table of the highest use of MDMA [that's your actual proper name for ecstasy] in Europe and second in the UK just behind London."?

How about not reporting that the scientists were determining levels of drug abuse, as opposed to levels of drug use? Indeed, the survey methodolgy precludes any judgement on whether the usage is abusive or otherwise.

How about reporting that the cities ranked total just 44 across Europe, and just 2 (!) in the UK?

I'm sure I could go on, but, I'll just direct you to the reports in question instead.




Nonsense like this just holds up progress towards a more sensible approach to drugs.

No comments: