Wednesday 8 October 2014

Third Time Lucky...

Twice previously on this blog, I've related tales of having put a card in to speak at Liberal Democrat Conference only for me not to be selected. You can read about those instances here and here.

Well, today I broke my duck. I was called to speak in a debate on a motion containing measures to reform the banking market and availability of finance to small and medium sized enterprises. I spoke in favour of the motion, and an amendment that, in part, sought to promote the role of peer to peer lending in corporate lending.

Here it is...



Andrew

1 comment:

Raybeard said...

Nicely done, Andrew. Must have been terribly unnerving to speak with all those eyes on you.
When I first started having to attend committees of Oxford City Council my tongue would seize up and when I did get words out they appeared with an embarrassing nervous tremble (and that was in front of only about a dozen others), but you didn't show any of that.
I trust there will be more such occasions to come so you can hone your skills - and you'll soon be speaking with the flourish and self-certitude of a Farage - though with much more attractive politics (which, admittedly, wouldn't be so difficult).

Speaking of which, hope your party manage to get a respectable result in Clacton today. If they don't actually win (!) I do hope that that silly man Carswell does get in, not only for feelings of schadenfreude against the Tories, but also for all the odium that's bound to be heaped on Carswell himself.

Btw: I actually get an inkling that the tide for LD may now be turning in its favour. I do hope so. I'm still vivid in memory of those times back in the 50s and 60s when the Libs had just half a dozen seats, if that! And I'd hate for those days to return.