Sunday 16 September 2012

Sunday Sounds 53

Years ago, when I was but a teenager, I borrowed a boxset of LPs from my Aunt with strict instructions that I was to make sure I didn't scratch any of the records. It was the "Reader's Digest Hits of the 50's, 60's and 70's" and I loved it - all six discs of it.

One song which stuck in my head - and which inexplicably popped into my mind this week - was Ricky Valance with "Tell Laura I Love Her". Oddly, though, it is the chorus which has stuck with me for the past two and a half decades - I had completely failed to remember the narrative element!

Anyway, I thought it'd make an ideal candidate for a Sunday Sound, and so here it is:



Andrew


1 comment:

Raybeard said...

Andrew, you may or may not have known, but this record was very controversial at the time - as being too morbid for 'frail' human ears. I don't know if it was actually banned by the B.B.C. but I reckon that it probably was. I think at that time our only way of hearing pop on the radio was in 'Two-way Family Favourites' on the then 'Light Programme', Sundays 12 noon - 2 p.m. - or on Radio Luxenbourg, which would NOT have banned it, thus guaranteeing that its notoriety would send it to Number 1!