Friday 18 November 2011

A Dead Good Time 2

Yesterday I posted some photos taken in Bristol's Arnos Vale cemetery. The active part of that cemetery is beautifully tended whilst the older areas have become a nature reserve. Prior to visiting that, I popped into the Catholic burial ground, Holy Souls Cemetery, next to it.

This was different in character, partly because it was much smaller and partly because the first area you enter has a number of overgrown graves and gravestones clad in ivy and other climbing plants. There was also a grave marked by a rather ostentatious crucifix - I've never seen anything quite like it.

In the past, I used to find the sight of an overgrown cemetery sad and felt this was somehow wrong. My feelings have relaxed on this over the years and now think there is something in being left to rest - truly - in peace which is organic. Dust to dust... 

Of course, overgrown gravestones also make great subjects for photographs:







Andrew

1 comment:

Raybeard said...

In time these Catholic cemeteries will eventually, erm, die out - like the rest of them. (When I was growing up cremations was not allowed for Catholics, at least until the 1970s, I think.) But I agree that cemeteries do have an antiquated charm and I also don't necessarily see them as depressing places. So it's only sensible that if one isn't worried about that side of them, then indeed utilise the serenity they can offer.