Friday 19 March 2010

The Lake Isle of Innisfree

I find myself in the position of having to apologise - particularly to my new followers - for my recent lack of posts. Life has been a bit busy over the past couple of weeks. That's no excuse, however, especially as I try to keep my personal life out of this blog.

Anyway, I've been meaning to post another poem for a couple of weeks now, and have chosen a poem by Yeats. This came seventh in a BBC poll of 100 favourite poems, although I wasn't previously acquainted with it. It's a bit of a slow-burner but the more I read it, the more I get from it.



The Lake Isle Of Innisfree by W.B. Yeats

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:

Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,

And live alone in the bee-loud glade.


And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;

There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,

And evening full of the linnet's wings.


I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;

While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,

I hear it in the deep heart's core.



Andrew


For more poems, follow this link.

No comments: