Saturday 18 July 2009

the widow's web, part one

This is the first in what I intend to be an occasional feature sharing websites I have come across. There is no set criteria, other than that I have either liked them or they have intrigued me in some way. They may be sites I intend to visit regularly, or sites which have I'll never visit again. Whatever the reason for inclusion, follow the links and have a nosey...


The Rubble Club has been established as an organisation dedicated to buildings that have been deliberately destroyed or altered in the lifetimes of their architects, but without their involvement. I first became aware of it through this BBC News article about the Forth Road Bridge Tollbooths and Canopy.

The site has a Scottish bias at present, but as time goes on, more and more from the rest of the UK will be featured. Background details are provided for each entry with the opportunity for comments to be added in each case.


The Ghostbikes site is a completely different proposition, although it is also about remembrance. In this case, it is about the memory of cyclists who have died in road accidents.

A bike is stripped of it's working elements and painted white and then chained to a suitable spot near the accident. A plaque can be added to give details of the deceased. A photo of the bike is then posted on the site with further details as a tribute.

One of my colleagues heard about ghostbikes on the wireless and a quick Google search found the site. While it may seem a bit ghoulish, particularly when looking through it as a third party, I think it is a simple but effective way of highlighting the dangers that cyclists face on the roads.


The final site in this selection is the official Iain (M) Banks site. Iain Banks (without the M) is one of my favourite authors, and I dip into this site now and again for updates on publication dates, interviews and other features.

If you are unfamiliar with his work, the site features information of each of his books to date. I would, personally, urge you to check out The Wasp Factory which is one of my all time favourite novels.



No comments: